- Bid numbers: Bid numbers will be printed for all bidders. Please bring a driver’s license with you to the sale. The information from your driver’s license will be scanned into the system, and a bid number will be printed for you to use at this auction. For those without a driver’s license, the information will be entered manually.
- The vehicles that can be inspected are on display in the auction lot located at South Fourth Street and South Oak Avenue, Ames, Iowa. They are from the Iowa DOT, Iowa State University, cities and counties.
- During the auction, automobiles, vans and pickups will be sold inside the auction building. Large trucks and equipment will be sold in the adjacent lot.
- Ames banks may have limited service on Saturday.
- Coffee, sandwiches and cold drinks will be available for purchase at the sale site.
- Handicap parking is available.
- For your protection, please observe the restricted area signs.
- State law prohibits smoking on State of Iowa property.
- For your safety, no one will be allowed in the display lot after the sale begins.
People requiring accommodations because of a disability should contact auction staff wearing green vests.
Terms of sale
All items sold to the highest bidder AS IS with NO WARRANTIES or GUARANTEES. The Iowa DOT reserves the right to reject any bids and withdraw any item from the sale at any time.
- All bidders will have a PERMANENT BID NUMBER assigned that must be displayed when purchasing an item. Bid numbers will be printed at every auction.
- Buyers must be 18 years or older.
- BID DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT: Successful bidders must make a $200 deposit for EACH vehicle that is not paid for in full on the day of the sale. Payment can be made with cash, personal or company check, traveler's check, postal money order, cashier's check or bank draft made payable or endorsable to the Iowa DOT. Exception: Political subdivisions may use either a requisition or purchase order for bid deposit and settlement for release of vehicle. We reserve the right to request certified funds.
- USE TAX:
- LICENSED VEHICLES: Iowa use tax will not be collected. Use tax will be collected at time of application for vehicle registration in your county.
- EQUIPMENT OTHER THAN LICENSED VEHICLES: Six percent Iowa sales tax will be applied to the sale price, unless a tax exemption document is evidenced.
- Your county courthouse will require the following when transferring vehicles from seller to buyer: signature of person or persons to which the vehicle is to be transferred; and properly completed title and odometer statement.
- FINAL SETTLEMENT: Final settlement on the date of sale is not mandatory, but is highly recommended. However, full payment and removal of equipment must be completed within five working days.
- In-transit paper license plates, good for 48 hours, will be furnished by the Iowa DOT.
- Deposits will be forfeited if balance is not satisfied within four working days.
BUYERS OF HEAVY DUTY EQUIPMENT: In some cases, a special oversize load permit will be necessary, and oversize
load signs will be required on the front and rear of the vehicle. Permit requests should be handled through the Iowa DOT's Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services by calling 515-237-32
Sale conducted by Lynch Auction Company, Boone, Iowa, for:
Iowa Department of Transportation
800 Lincoln Way, Ames, Iowa 50010
For further information contact:
Chad Rumbaugh, 515-239-1576;
Federal and state laws prohibit employment and/or public accommodation discrimination on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran’s status. If you believe you have been discriminated against, please contact the Iowa Civil Rights Commission at 800-457-4416 or Iowa Department of Transportation’s affirmative action officer. If you need accommodations because of a disability to access the Iowa Department of Transportation’s services, contact the agency’s affirmative action officer at 800-262-0003.