About the Office of Aviation
The Office of Aviation advocates for and delivers services that promote and enhance a healthy air transportation system. Emphasis is placed on building cooperative working relationships, advocating for opportunities to strengthen aviation in Iowa, coordinating outreach programs, maintaining a comprehensive data collection system, and managing programs that promote a safe and secure air transportation system in Iowa.
To achieve these goals, the Office of Aviation provides:
- Administration of state and federal aviation funding programs.
- Management of the Iowa aircraft registration program.
- Inspection and certification of all public use airports.
- Statewide aviation weather reporting (AWOS).
- Communications, outreach and educational activities.
- Aviation system planning.
- Aviation data collection.
- Runway markings and windsocks for airports.
- Air service analysis and development.
- Pavement inspections at federally funded airports.
- Special studies and initiatives.
- Economic impact assessments
- Focus groups
- Aviation security
- Land use guidelines near airports
- Wildlife mitigation for airports