Engineering Co-op Program
Typically, the Iowa DOT employs 15-18 civil and construction engineering students through university cooperative education programs each year. These co-op students work alongside permanent staff, gaining practical experience to complement
and enhance their education.
Iowa's climate dictates that our workload in construction and maintenance is heaviest during the summer and fall semesters, so the majority of co-op placements are made during that period. However, co-op recruitment goes on year-round
What are the Qualifications for Engineering Co-ops?
To qualify for the program, students must:
- Be enrolled at a four year college or university, majoring in an engineering curriculum with eligibility for junior status upon return to school.
- Enroll in their university's co-op program.
- Be able to work 40 hours or more per week.
- First-time co-ops must work a minimum of seven months (summer plus semester).
- Have a sophomore standing prior to beginning the co-op program.
If you are a student currently enrolled in a two year program at a community college, majoring in engineering or construction technology, please see our