STAINLESS STEEL FASTENERS
This IM covers the approval process to supply stainless steel fasteners to Iowa DOT projects and the method for acceptance. The requirements for stainless steel fasteners can be found in standard specification 4187. Stainless steel fasteners shall also comply with the Buy America requirements of IM 107. Approved sources of stainless steel fasteners can be found in the Materials Approved Products Listing Enterprise (MAPLE).
MANUFACTURING MILL APPROVAL
Prior to furnishing stainless steel fasteners on a certification basis, the following documents shall be submitted:
1. A request shall be submitted to the Construction and Materials Bureau in Ames, Iowa detailing the location of the manufacturing plant and any distribution center(s).
2. Quality control plan/procedures the company has established to ensure material quality and identity through the manufacturing process as well as quality control testing.
3. A typical example of certification documents the mill will furnish.
4. Copy of an identification list, invoice or bill of materials providing the information identified in the Certification Procedures.
Upon satisfactory review of this application, the manufacturing mill will be placed on the approved list in Appendix A.
· The manufacturer of stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers shall furnish an identification list, invoice or bill of lading for each shipment to each project. It shall show the project, design number, heat number, hardness, tensile and yield strengths, proof load, rotational capacity test results, source and number and weight of pieces in the shipment and contain a certification statement indicating the attached mill test reports and certifications represent the itemized material.
· The signed mill test reports/certification shall include the chemical and heat analyses, and type for each heat.
· The signed mill test reports/certification shall also include a statement indicating the steel meets the requirements of IM 107, Group 1, Buy America.
A copy of these documents is required for each shipment to a project and shall be provided to the Project Engineer responsible for project administration.
Acceptance of stainless steel bolts, studs, rods, hex cap screws, nuts and washers will be based on approved source and certification documentation as indicated above.
Approved sources of stainless steel fasteners are found in IM 453.07 Appendix A.