SHEAR CONNECTOR STUDS
This IM covers the approval process to supply shear connector studs to Iowa DOT projects. The requirements for shear connector studs are found in standard specification 4152. Approved sources of shear connector studs can be found in the Materials Approved Products Listing Enterprise (MAPLE). Install in accordance with IM 558, section X.
Prior to furnishing shear connector studs on a certification basis, the following documents shall be submitted:
1. A request shall be submitted to the Construction and Materials Bureau in Ames, Iowa detailing the location of the fabrication plant and any distribution center(s).
2. Quality control plan/procedures the company has established to ensure material quality and identity through the fabrication process as well as quality control testing.
3. Test reports showing conformance of their product to the applicable sections of AASHTO/AWS D1.5, Bridge Welding Code.
4. A typical example of certification documents the source will furnish.
5. Copy of an identification list, invoice or bill of materials providing the information identified in the Certification Procedures.
Upon satisfactory review of this application, the source will be placed on the approved list in Appendix A.
· The manufacturer of shear connector studs shall furnish a certification with a statement indicating the connectors meet the applicable specifications and in accordance with IM 107, Group 2, Buy America.
A copy of this document is required for each shipment to a project and shall be provided to the Project Engineer responsible for project administration.
Acceptance of shear connector studs will be based on Approved Source and certification documentation as indicated above.
Approved sources of shear connector studs are found in IM 453.10 Appendix A.
VERIFICATION SAMPLING & TESTING
The Construction and Materials Bureau may sample and test studs for certification monitoring purposes. If done, ten specimens shall be tested using the bend test below or other approved test methods if performed in accordance with Section 184.108.40.206 of the Welding Code D1.5.
Studs shall be bend-tested by being bent 90 degrees from the original axis. Stud application shall be acceptable if the studs are bent 90 degrees and fracture occurs in the plate or shank of the stud, but not in the weld.
Welding shall not be performed when base metal temperature is below 0º F or when the surface is wet or exposed to falling rain or snow. Set-up shall include stud gun, power source, total welding lead length and stud diameter.