INSPECTION & ACCEPTANCE
Reflectorizing GLASS BEADS / ELEMENTS for traffic paintS
Reflectorizing glass beads for traffic paint are used to impart retroreflectivity to traffic paint lines. The type of glass beads used on projects shall conform to the requirements of AASHTO M 247. Glass Beads for standard painting applications shall conform to Specification 4184. Elements or beads for wet reflective / recoverable marking materials may be utilized as specified by the project documents, Specification 4184, Developmental Specifications or Special Provisions. Approved manufacturers are listed in the Materials Approved Products Listing Enterprise (MAPLE).
Acceptance of reflectorizing spheres and beads / elements for traffic paint shall be on the basis of manufacturer name approval.
To obtain approval, the manufacturer shall submit the following to the Iowa Department of Transportation, Construction & Materials Bureau, 800 Lincoln Way, Ames, Iowa 50010:
1. Product identification including brand name and product number
2. Technical literature and MSDS for the product
3. A pint sample of the product.
4. Recommended application procedures and rates for the product.
5. For wet recoverable and wet reflective materials to be used with traffic paints, typical retro-reflectivity values obtained from third party testing or actual project results pursuant to ASTM E 1710, ASTM E 2177 and ASTM E 2832 shall be provided.
The Construction & Materials Bureau may sample and test reflectorizing spheres, beads / elements for traffic paint to verify compliance with specifications.