Travel in the area continues to be impacted by construction activities on the Systems Interchange. Impacts to travel times will continue as the project progresses.
Commuter At-a-Glance Traffic Impact Forecast
Travel Times: Travel times for the I-380/U.S. 218 corridor and I-80 in the project area are displayed on message boards to give motorists a clearer picture of traffic impacts they may encounter. Travel times will be shown during peak morning and evening rush hours.
Inclement Weather Driving: In the Midwest, the weather is unpredictable. What we can predict is that when weather is inclement, we need to continue to be extra cautious when driving through the construction work zone. Remember to adjust your driving accordingly and allow for extra travel time in case of potential delays.
Speed limit reduction: Reduced speeds can still be found throughout the interchange. The speed limit is 65 MPH along I-380 to the north of the interchange and along U.S. 218 to the south of the interchange. Speed limits through the middle of the interchange are reduced to 55 MPH. Speed limits will be changing throughout the completion of this project. Pay attention to posted speed limits and stay alert. Be prepared for changes in lanes and traffic patterns and pay attention to signs and other work zone alerts to keep you and our workers safe. View a map which illustrates the speed limits throughout the project area.
During reconstruction of the I-80/I-380 Systems Interchange, ongoing construction activities will continue to impact drivers throughout the system. Drivers should refer to www.511ia.org for more information and anticipate the following changes in travel:
- Lane Shifts: New traffic patterns along I-80, I-380 and U.S. 218 are in place. Lane shifts have been added throughout the project. New lane shifts and other traffic pattern changes will occur through 2023. Drivers should be aware that in some areas, the shoulders have been eliminated due to the lane shifts and/or the addition of a temporary construction barrier rail that has been added to help protect the public from construction activities and protect workers from traffic.
- Nighttime Lane Closures: Nighttime, single lane closures and full closures are expected in the project area through 2023.
- Overnight Road/Ramp Closures: Overnight ramp and road closures are planned through 2023. At times there are multiple closures occurring at the same time on the interchange.
- Long-term Detours: Long-term detours for the I-80 westbound to U.S. 218 southbound and U.S. 218 northbound to I-80 westbound ramps will remain in place until Fall 2023. The other six reconstructed ramps are now open for drivers in the interchange.
For traveler information, real time construction and roadway condition alerts, the public can access Iowa’s 511 system through web and mobile applications. Please visit www.511ia.org. In the event of an emergency, dial 911.
380 Express Bus
The 380 Express bus schedules can be found here: https://www.380express.com/schedule.php
- Plan ahead. Adjust travel times if possible to avoid traffic.
- Consider using the 380 Express Bus. Iowa DOT has coordinated an express bus transit service, car/van pooling amenities, and business outreach efforts to help promote and encourage adjusted travel behaviors. Explore 380 Express
Follow the 380 Express Facebook page
- Iowa Ride Share: Iowa's Statewide Ridematching System will help you quickly and securely find viable commute options including carpool partners, vanpool routes, transit routes, cycling buddies, and more. Once you're registered, you can log your commute route and find your personalized commute options by using your origin and destination addresses to match with nearby commuters with similar schedules. Login any time to change your route or find other options in your area.
Explore Iowa Rideshare
- Consider ridesharing with neighbors and/or coworkers, or telecommuting.
- Sign up for real time travel alerts at www.511ia.org
- Follow our I-80/I-380 Systems Interchange Facebook page.