Travelers can expect to see construction activities adjacent to the roadway throughout the project area. Traffic will continue to use existing lanes throughout 2018. Construction activities will have a greater impact on traffic beginning in 2019. Details of those impacts will be provided in advance but here are some general project outlines:
Westbound I-80 to northbound I-380 and eastbound I-80 to southbound U.S. 218 will be temporarily widened to include pavement to be used during construction.
- Eastbound I-80 traffic traveling south on U.S. 218 will shift to temporary pavements on the shoulder during construction.
- Kansas Avenue will be temporarily closed for approximately two months during construction of the relocated Kansas Avenue and 340th Street.
For traveler information, real time construction and roadway condition alerts, the public can access Iowa’s 511 system through web and mobile applications. Please visit www.511ia.org. In the event of an emergency, please dial 911.
- Plan ahead. Adjust travel times if possible to avoid traffic.
- Consider using the Interregional Express Bus (IRXB).Iowa DOT has coordinated an express bus transit service, car/van pooling amenities, and business outreach efforts to help promote and encourage adjusted travel behaviors. For more information about your daily commute, check out the Commuter-At-A-Glance Maps. Learn more about how to use the Commuter-At-A-Glance Maps.
- Consider ride sharing with neighbors and/or coworkers or telecommuting.
- Sign up for real time travel alerts at www.511ia.org
Let’s Work Together - Work Zone Safety
Our goal is to provide a safe and reliable transportation system. We promise to provide timely project and incident information because we understand how frustrating road construction can be. Traffic may be slower than normal and there may be more traffic than normal during the project. We need your help to make sure we all make it home safely. Plan ahead and be prepared. Expect the unexpected.
- Buckle up.
- Pay attention.
- Slow down.
- Stay alert.
- Focus on the road.
- Obey the signs.
- Keep a safe stopping distance.
- Avoid distractions.