WHY IT MATTERS
Roadside management – services and benefits
Establishing prairie plants in roadside rights of way:
Integrated roadside vegetation management (IRVM) in Iowa uses native grasses and wildflowers of the original predominantly prairie landscape, which are well-adapted for use on roadsides. Hardy and beautiful, native roadsides offer aesthetic, economic, environmental, and educational opportunities.
- Provides low-maintenance weed and erosion control.
- Reduces surface runoff and erosion by improving infiltration.
- Reduces snow drifting and winter glare.
- Ensures sustainability by increasing species diversity.
- Enhances wildlife habitat.
- Beautifies the landscape by providing ever changing color and texture throughout the year.
- Preserves our natural heritage.
- Provides filtering and capture of nutrients, pesticides, and sediment.