Military/Veteran driver's license and vehicle services
Checklist for military commercial driver’s license (CDL) waiver
If you have recent experience driving large trucks in the military, you may be eligible to obtain an Iowa commercial driver’s license (CDL) without taking the drive skills test that is normally required. To be eligible for the waiver, you must have legally operated the same type of commercial motor vehicle that you expect to operate as a civilian for at least two years immediately prior to applying for a CDL.
To qualify for the waiver, you must:
In addition to completing the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver form, you must present the required documentation listed below.
- One of two forms of acceptable evidence that you have operated a vehicle representative of a commercial motor vehicle is required.
- A valid military CDL that clearly defines the types of vehicles you are/were authorized to drive; or
- An expired military CDL that expired no more than six months from submittal date of the application for waiver form.
- Your military service record. One of two forms is required.
- DD Form 2 (Active Duty Uniformed Services ID Card), certifying you are a member of the active or reserve components of any branch or unit of the U.S. armed forces; or
- DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), certifying you are a veteran who received an honorable discharge from any branch or unit of the active or reserve components of the U.S. armed forces.
Note: Some circumstances could require further review of an application. In addition to the documents listed above, you may be required to bring written verification from your commanding officer.
Knowledge test: The written knowledge test required to obtain a CDL will not be waived. Study material for the test and other information about the testing and application process is available at https://forms.iowadot.gov/FormsMgt/External/430004.pdf or any Iowa driver’s license issuance site.
If you have questions about the waiver, call the Iowa DOT Motor Vehicle Division's help desk at: 515-244-1052 available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., except official state holidays.