Find out more about decal plates
*Please note there are different requirements depending upon plate choice. Be sure to review the specific information for each plate.
Sport utility vehicles
Trailers and travel trailers
|Personalized plates fees
- $25 initial fee
- $5 annual registration fee at the time of renewal
- Annual registration renewal fee (paid to county treasurer)
Personalized plates may be purchased as a gift. Gift certificates will be mailed to the purchaser
||Personalized license plates may consist of up to five characters and numbers. All personalized plate choices must have at least two characters.
- No punctuation marks are allowed.
- No denoting a government agency (i.e., DOT).
- No display of characters that are sexual in connotation.
- No characters suggesting profane, obscene or inflammatory words or phrases, or those contrary to public policy.
- No characters or words defined in dictionaries as a term of vulgarity, contempt, prejudice, hostility, insult, or racial or ethnic degradation.
- No characters considered to be offensive.
- No characters that conflict with the regular license numbering system.
- Recognized as a swear word.
- Reference to an illegal substance or criminal act.
- Any foreign word falling in any of these categories.
- Cannot be all numbers.
|How to apply
Order online (You will need an Iowa Driver's license or ID and a credit card to complete the transaction.)
Your plates will be sent to your county treasurer's office and staff will notify you when your plates are available. Typical processing time is 3-6 weeks. Plates must be assigned to a vehicle within 90 days or the plates will be voided and no refund issued. Your current plates must be exchanged for your new plates.