112.14(306A) Recreational trail connections
This rule establishes requirements for access to the primary road system from recreational trails.
- No access to a Priority I highway from a recreational trail is allowed.
- An application for access to a Priority II, III, or IV highway shall be submitted and processed in accordance with subrule 112.13(2).
- An application for access to a Priority V or VI highway shall be submitted and processed in accordance with subrule 112.4(1).
- The applicant shall submit with the application a detailed plan sufficient for departmental review. The plan shall include an appropriate recreational trail signing layout.
- The applicant may contact the appropriate district representative for assistance in preparing the application
- Spacing for a Priority II, III, or IV highway shall conform to subrule 112.12(3). It is preferable that an entrance provide access to adjacent properties as well as to the recreational trail.
- Spacing for a Priority V or VI highway shall conform to rule 112.8(306A) or 112.9(306A) as applicable.
- Sight distance. Sight distance for a recreational trail connection shall conform to the desirable sight distance as listed in rule 112.2(306A).
- Entrance width and radius return. The entrance width and radius return of a recreational trail connection shall conform to the design standards adopted for the Statewide Iowa Trails Plan.
- Entrance angle. The entrance angle for a recreational trail connection shall be established as near to 90 degrees to the centerline of the primary highway as site conditions will allow.
- Slope and cross section. The slope and cross section of a recreational trail connection shall conform to subrule 112.4(10).
- Drainage. Drainage for a recreational trail connection shall conform to rule 112.6(306A).
- Construction. The permit holder shall be responsible for constructing the recreational trail connection in compliance with the approved permit and at no cost to the department. The department reserves the right to inspect any work performed within the primary highway right-of-way. See subrule 112.3(3).
- Maintenance. Maintenance responsibilities shall conform to subrule 112.3(4). These rules are intended to implement Iowa Code sections 306.19, 306A.1 to 306A.8, and 319.14.