- U.S. work zone fatalities - 675 per year (10-year average)
- Iowa work zone fatalities - 7.2 per year (10-year average, 2009-2018)
- 166 injury crashes occur per year in Iowa work zones
- 420 property damage crashes occur per year in Iowa work zones
- 594 total work zone crashes occur per year in Iowa work zones
- 92% of Iowa work zone crash fatalities are motorists (10 year average)
- 8% of Iowa work zone crash fatalities are DOT or contractor workers (10 year average)
- 75% of Iowa work zone crashes are rear-end crashes
Annual traffic on Iowa highways has increased more than 35 percent during the past 10 years - increased traffic wears out roads faster and makes repairs necessary...and thus, more work zones.
Speeding fines in work zones may be up to $1000. Other fines are doubled.
A work zone is defined as being from the first sign identifying the zone (typically a "Road Work Ahead" sign) to a sign indicating the end of the work zone (typically an "End Road Work" sign). Work zones may be either stationary or moving, depending on the work being done.