WORK ZONE QUICK FACTS
- U.S. work zone fatalities - 697 per year (10-year average)
- Iowa work zone fatalities - 7.2 per year (10-year average, 2012-2021)
- 188 injury crashes occur per year in Iowa work zones
- 463 property damage crashes occur per year in Iowa work zones
- 659 total work zone crashes occur per year in Iowa work zones
- 86% of Iowa work zone crash fatalities are motorists (10 year average)
- 14% of Iowa work zone crash fatalities are DOT or contractor workers (10 year average)
- 45% of Iowa work zone crashes are rear-end crashes
Annual traffic on Iowa highways has increased more than seven percent during the past 10 years - increased traffic wears out roads faster and makes repairs necessary...and thus, more work zones.
Speeding fines in work zones may be up to $1000. Other fines are doubled.
A work zone is defined as being from the first sign identifying the zone (typically a "Road Work Ahead" sign) to a sign indicating the end of the work zone (typically an "End Road Work" sign). Work zones may be either stationary or moving, depending on the work being done.