Current traffic impacts
It is anticipated that overnight closures will occur throughout the project. Detours will be posted, and notices provided, on 511ia.org. Emergency closures have occurred in the project area due to quick-forming pavement potholes and pavement settlement issues. Active emergency closures are posted to the 511ia.org. Please follow 511ia.org for the most current construction information and notifications.
Speed limit changes
Sections throughout the interchange have reduced speed limits to support the ongoing construction efforts in this area. View a map which illustrates the speed limits throughout the project area.
Traffic impacts and potential delays
For the best source and latest updates for traffic alerts and notifications, follow 511ia.org. Construction activities will have a greater impact on traffic in 2022 as all quadrants of the interchange will have active construction. 2022 will bring even more construction activity throughout the Systems Interchange with significant travel impacts. As we enter the final 2 years of the construction project traffic shifts and lane reductions will result in travel feeling tighter and more cramped throughout the system. In addition, major long-term closures will continue throughout the year. Drivers should expect longer travel times and potential detours as they travel through the interchange. Major closures anticipated in 2022 include:
- Coral Ridge Ave to I-80 westbound on-ramp will be closed up to 16 days, anticipated in spring/summer 2022.
- U.S. 218 northbound to I-80 eastbound ramp (Exit 96) will be closed up to 40 days, anticipated in summer 2022.
- Existing I-380 southbound to I-80 eastbound loop ramp will close permanently and re-open as a new ramp Summer 2022.
- Existing I-80 westbound to U.S. 218 southbound ramp closed permanently September 27, 2021. The new ramp is anticipated to open Fall/Winter 2023.
- Existing U.S. 218 northbound to I-80 westbound ramp closed permanently in December 2020. The new ramp is anticipated to open Fall/Winter 2023.
380 EXPRESS BUS SERVICE
380 Express Bus between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City is available for travelers in the area. Buses run regularly Monday through Friday. Buses are ADA compliant and feature free Wi-Fi. For rate and schedule details, visit 380express.com
Each motor coach is cleaned and sanitized daily. Riders are asked to limit trips for essential purposes only.
2021 Annual Report Now Available
To learn more about the construction activities from 2021, download the 2021 Annual Report.
What's going on now
Interested in seeing what is happening on the I-80/380 interchange in real time?
I-380 web cam: Looking NE at I-380
I-380 WEB CAM ON NORTH SIDE OF US 6 (Alternating views north and south.)
I-80 WEB CAM NEAR I-380 (Alternating views east, north, west.)
Sign up to receive notifications of upcoming events and project updates.