The Iowa DOT library exists to collect, curate, and distribute transportation-related research and information to aid Iowa DOT planners, designers, engineers, and scientists in creating innovative transportation systems to serve Iowans.
The Iowa DOT library serves:
- All Iowa DOT and state government employees.
- The faculty, staff and students of Iowa State University, the ISU Institute for Transportation (InTrans), and other Iowa universities and colleges.
- Local Iowa transportation departments (city or county).
- Transportation libraries and university transportation centers around the world.
- Public libraries and their patrons.
- The public.
The Iowa DOT library serves in research gathering, literature searches, database access, and serial access as needed to propose and complete transportation research and construction projects.
The Iowa DOT library shares its resources with other transportation libraries, transportation knowledge networks and university transportation centers, and shares responsibility for cataloging and organizing resources with these entities. While first serving transportation professionals and researchers, the Iowa DOT library shares resources with, and answers reference questions for, public libraries and the general public.