PLEASE NOTE: The previous plate design will be issued until individual county treasurers deplete their existing inventory. Contact your local treasurer prior to ordering to see if the new design is available in your area. Plates such as collegiate, DNR, and government designs will not change.
Personalize your license plate, check availability, and reserve it.Before starting:
- This online process is for specialty and personalized plates only. If you need a regular county numbered plate, it must be ordered through your county treasurer's office.
- Veterans, military, EMS, firefighter, amateur radio, and persons with disabilities plates require certification and cannot be ordered online. To order these plates, you must apply by mail.
- Gift certificates for plates can not be ordered online. To order a gift certificate, an application with the appropriate fee must be submitted to the Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services.
- You must have an Iowa driver's license or nondriver ID to complete the online process. Don't have an Iowa driver's license or nondriver ID? Apply by mail.
- Be sure to have a credit card available to complete the online transaction.
- All specialty and personalized license plate orders are subject to Iowa DOT approval.
Create a plate
Select your vehicle type. Step 1 of 6
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Step 3
- Step 4
- Step 5
- Step 6