Personalize your license plate, check availability, and reserve it.Before starting:
- This online process is for specialty and personalized plates only. If you need a regular county numbered plate, it must be ordered through your county treasurer's office.
- Veterans, military, EMS, firefighter, amateur radio, and persons with disabilities plates require certification and cannot be ordered online. To order these plates, complete the special plate application form, print, and mail the form with the appropriate documents and fees.
- Gift certificates for plates can not be ordered online. To order a gift certificate, an application with the appropriate fee must be submitted to the Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services.
- You must have an Iowa driver's license or nondriver ID to complete the online process.
- If your chosen personalization is available and approved, your plates will be manufactured and delivered to the county treasurer's office in the county where you live. Plates will be assigned to the specific vehicle when picked up. You will be notified when the plates are ready to be picked up. Plates must be picked up within 90 days or the plates will be voided and no refund issued.
View all plates
Interested in seeing what plates are available? View all plates
Already have personalized plates, but need to switch to a new plate design?If you currently have a personalized plate and would like to switch your personalized message from that plate to a new plate design, you will need to complete the special plate application form as we currently cannot complete this process online. You will be required to pay the initial fee for your new personalized plates.
Check the status
of your order
Already ordered your personalized/specialty plates online? Check the status of your order.
Create a plate
Select your vehicle type. Step 1 of 6
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Step 3
- Step 4
- Step 5
- Step 6