Order my specialty and personalized plates
If you currently have a personalized plate and would like to switch your personalized message from that plate to a new plate design you will need to complete the mail in form
as we currently cannot complete this process online. On the mail-in form, please enter your current plate number/message in the space provided in Section A of the form and then re-enter the same information in Section B.
NUMBERED BLACKOUT PLATES
Beginning Sept. 3, you will be able to exchange any plates for non-personalized blackout plates at your local county treasurer’s office, saving the two- to three-week order processing time if ordered online or by mail. Your new blackout plates will not have the same letter/number combination as your current plates. Specialty plate fees apply. Due to the change, non-personalized blackout plates will no longer be available to order online.
If your chosen personalization is available and approved, your plates will be manufactured and delivered to the county treasurer's office in the county where you live. You will be notified when the plates are ready to be picked up.
Personalize your license plate, check availability, and reserve it.
- This online process is for specialty and personalized plates only. If you need a regular county numbered plate, it must be ordered through your county treasurer's office.
- Veterans, military, EMS, firefighter, amateur radio, and persons with disabilities plates require certification and cannot be ordered online. To order these plates, you must apply by mail.
- Gift certificates for plates can not be ordered online. To order a gift certificate, an application with the appropriate fee must be submitted to the Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services.
- You must have an Iowa driver's license or nondriver ID to complete the online process. Don't have an Iowa driver's license or nondriver ID? Apply by mail.
- Be sure to have a credit card available to complete the online transaction.
- All specialty and personalized license plate orders are subject to Iowa DOT approval.
Create a plate
Select your vehicle type. Step 1 of 6
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Step 3
- Step 4
- Step 5
- Step 6