*Please note there are different requirements depending upon plate choice. Be sure to review the specific information for each plate.
Sport utility vehicles
Trailers and travel trailers
|Numbered plate fee:
- $35 initial fee to the Ducks Unlimited Fund
- $10 annual registration fee to the Ducks Unlimited Fund at time of renewal
- Annual registration renewal fee
Plates (including personalized plates) may be purchased as a gift. Gift certificates will be mailed to the purchaser
Numbered plates must be ordered through your county treasurer's office.
|Personalized plate fee
- $60 initial fee ($25 plate fee + $35 for Ducks Unlimited)
- $15 annual registration fee ($5 validation fee + $10 for Ducks Unlimited) at time of renewal
- Annual registration renewal fee (paid to county treasurer)
Personalized license plates may consist of up to five characters and numbers. All personalized plate choices must have at least two characters.
- No punctuation marks are allowed.
- No denoting a government agency (i.e., DOT ).
- No display of characters that are sexual in connotation.
- No characters suggesting profane, obscene or inflammatory words or phrases, or those contrary to public policy.
- No characters or words defined in dictionaries as a term of vulgarity, contempt, prejudice, hostility, insult, or racial or ethnic degradation.
- No characters considered to be offensive.
- No characters that conflict with the regular license numbering system.
- Recognized as a swear word.
- Reference to an illegal substance or criminal act.
- Any foreign word falling in any of these categories.
- Cannot be all numbers.
|How to apply
Order online (You will need an Iowa Driver's license or ID and a credit card to complete the transaction.)
Complete the Special Plate Application form, print and mail with the fees that are due.
Completed applications may be returned to your county treasurer's office or the following address.
Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278
Your plates will be sent to your county treasurer's office and staff will notify you when your plates are available. Plates must be assigned to a vehicle within 90 days or the plates will be voided and no refund issued. Your current plates must be exchanged for your new plates.