Vehicle Records Request
Records may be researched by vehicle identification number, name, title number and license plate number.
How to request vehicle records
- Complete the Privacy Act Agreement For Request of Motor Vehicle Records form.
- After completing the form, print and sign the request form. Be sure your full name is included at the top of all the printed sheets.
- If you are requesting the record of another person, you must get their written consent and include it with your request form. The Federal Driver’s Privacy Protection Act prohibits the disclosure of personal information about any individual from a motor vehicle record to the public without written consent of the person to whom the information pertains.
- Make a legible photocopy of your driver's license or non-driver ID card.
- Payment must be included with the request. The cost is $5 per record request even if no result found.
- Mail completed form, photocopy of driver's license or ID, written consent if requestig the record of another person, and the fee to:
Systems and Administration Bureau
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306
Once we have completed your request, we will send the information to the requestor via secure email to the email address listed on the request form.
Requesting an Escrow account
If you are a business or organization that submits multiple requests, you may establish an escrow account. Requests with an escrow account, or those from law enforcement or another government agency may be submitted to Vehicle.RecordPolicy@iowadot.us.