Ex-Prisoner of War plate

Ex-Prisoner of War plate
Who is eligible Motor vehicle owner or part owner who is a former prisoner of war. A surviving spouse may continue to use the plates. If the surviving spouse remarries, the plates shall be returned for regular plates.
Special requirements A copy of any official government or military document that verifies prisoner of war status or a signature of a witness is required.
Eligible vehicles: Automobiles
Multipurpose vehicles
Sport utility vehicles
Motor homes
Trailers and travel trailers
Numbered plates No initial fee
$15 annual registration renewal fee
Personalized plates Not available as a personalized plate.
How to apply Complete the Special Plate Application form, print and mail with the fees that are due.

Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, Iowa  50306-9278

Your plates will be sent to your county treasurer's office and staff will notify you when your plates are available. Typical processing time is 3-6 weeks. Plates must be assigned to a vehicle within 90 days or the plates will be voided and no refund issued. Your current plates must be exchanged for your new plates.

For questions

Telephone: 515-237-3110

Parking waiver

Effective July 1, 2022, any vehicle that displays this Iowa-issued veterans license plate may park for free in any city-owned or operated parking lot or city-metered space in Iowa. A city shall not enforce any ordinance related to fees at these locations.

Any questions related to whether you can park in a particular location or how to have a fee waived should be directed to the relevant city for interpretation.


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.