Employee Safety

Contact the highway authority (city or county) responsible for the particular roadway and ask them to work with the operating railroad company to seek repairs to the crossing.

Alternatively, the Iowa DOT's Rail Transportation Bureau can assist you in contacting the appropriate railroad. E-mail Kris Klop or call 515-239-1108.

The Office of Rail Transportation administers the Grade Crossing Surface Repair Program , which assists railroads and highway authorities with the cost of rebuilding crossing surfaces. However, currently there is approximately a four-year wait for funding assistance.

Remedial repairs to a crossing to improve the crossing surface are often an alternative until such time as a more permanent solution can be accomplished.

Iowa Rail