Motor Carriers



Iowa Department of Transportation Wind Energy Meeting
Register for the Iowa DOT wind energy meeting

Unified registration system rule effective dates changed  
View more information

Unified carrier registration homepage update

The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) System homepage has been updated. The site features a new, more professional look. For example, the homepage map of the United States is blue and grey in color. The change provides users with easier site navigation. In addition to the visual changes to the website, our system has been updated to Internet Explorer 10. This makes it easier to access the site.  
View the new homepage

IFTA / IRP filing

IFTA/IRP filing

Oversize / Overweight / Trip permits

Oversize/Overweight permits





Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)

Each year, interstate carriers, leasing companies, brokers, and freight forwarders who cross the state line while operating a self-propelled or towed vehicle on highways in commerce that meets one of the conditions listed below are required to obtain a Unified Carrier Registration (UCR).
  • It has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 pounds, whichever is greater.
  • It is designed to transport more than 10 passengers, including the driver.
  • It is transporting USDOT-regulated hazardous material that requires placarding.

The enforcement date to register for a 2015 UCR is: Jan. 1, 2015. Failing to file and pay the registration fee can result in a citation and fine.

Filing for a UCR

In as little as 10 minutes, carriers can renew and pay for their UCR from any computer or smartphone with Internet access. Before you start, be sure you:
  • Know the USDOT number.
  • Have a credit card or checkbook available.
  • Are aware that the computer session will timeout if there is significant idle time. If that happens, close the Internet window and begin the process again.
If a carrier is no longer in operation or never crosses the state line and wishes to avoid further UCR renewal notices, the carrier must inactivate or update its USDOT number.

View Instructions for completing the UCR registration, updating the USDOT number, or inactivating the USDOT number.

If you do not want, or are unable, to use the method listed above, please call the FMCSA Support Services line at 800-832-5660 during regular business hours (EST).

Begin your UCR registration process at





Motor carrier seminars and motor vehicle presentations

To request a presentation or educational program, please contact:

Motor Vehicle Enforcement
P.O. Box 10473
Des Moines, IA 50306-0473
Telephone:  515-237-3135
Fax:  515-237-3387

Motor carrier seminars

The Iowa DOT's Office of Motor Vehicle Enforcement provides training seminars that are required by Iowa law for carriers requesting liquid and/or passenger for hire authority. Successful completion of this course satisfies the Iowa Code requirement.

The required $200 fee will allow a carrier to register and send up to three personnel from their operation.

This one-day seminar will assist the carrier in awareness and understanding of what rules, regulations and laws they are required to comply with in relation to commercial vehicle operations.

Motor vehicle presentations

The Iowa DOT's Office of Motor Vehicle Enforcement may provide presentations on specific topics as requested. Topics such as commercial driver's license, hours of service, equipment inspection criteria, weight laws, and duties of motor vehicle enforcement officers are some of the more common requests.

Requests will be handled according to staffing levels. Staff from the Office of Motor Vehicle Enforcement will tailor requested programs to fit time constraints, schedules and dates.

Trucking companies, service clubs, associations and law enforcement agencies continue to utilize the availability of these presentations.

Related websites

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) home page
FMCSA's Education and Technical Assistance Program
Hazardous materials safety - Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance



MVD banner

Help center

Call us

Commercial motor carrier information

Commercial motor vehicle enforcement line

800-925-6469 (toll free in Iowa)

Driver’s license information 
800-532-1121 (toll free in Iowa) or 515-244-8725
Fax: 515-239-1837
Take a survey Take a customer service survey

Investigative Bureau
866-908-4636 (toll free)

Oversize/Overweight permits

Vehicle registration information
Vehicle registration is handled by your county treasurer's office. Please contact them for questions regarding your registration fees.

Call us

Send your questions, concerns or comments to us.

Take a survey

Have you visited a driver's license issuance site lately? Tell us how we did. Take the driver's license customer service survey.

Frequently asked questions

Driver's license / identification (ID) card

Under age 18

Driver's license issuance sites


Suspension / revocation

Driving record

Motor carrier services

Motor vehicle enforcement

Vehicle registration

Persons with disabilities parking laws

Auto dealers

License plates

Motor vehicle records


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.