Motor Carriers

International Registration Plan (IRP)

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a cooperative agreement between U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and Canadian provinces. Its purpose is to facilitate the registration of commercial vehicles that operate in multiple jurisdictions.

Under the IRP, motor carriers must register their vehicles with their home state or province, where they have an established business location. The registration fees paid there are then distributed to the other states or provinces based on how much the carrier operates in the other locations.

The IRP simplifies the registration process for interstate and international carriers, allowing them to operate with a single registration for their fleet across multiple jurisdictions. This cooperative agreement helps streamline administrative procedures and ensures that registration fees are appropriately distributed among the jurisdictions where the vehicles operate.

IRP Online Application


IRP Processing Dates

How to sign in



Not able to file online? Email or call 515-237-3268 for additional information on how to file.

New carriers applying for IRP

As a new IRP customer, you will need to complete the paperwork linked below, and email the completed paperwork to or mail it to P.O Box 10382, Des Moines IA 50306. New IRP accounts cannot be processed in-person.. Print the new carrier checklist.

  • Estimated distance schedule (ZIP file) (Iowa DOT Form 442044) completed and signed. The physical address must be in Iowa and you must include the Iowa county number on your application.
  • Schedule G form (Iowa DOT Form 442068) completed and signed.
  • Vehicle schedule (Iowa DOT Form 442015) completed and signed.
  • Record retention statement (Iowa DOT Form 442069) signed by the registrant. Agents cannot sign.
  • Copy of each vehicle title and copy of Bill of Sale.
  • Copy of IRS Form 2290 for each power unit that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 54,999 pounds. (See IRP manual for other acceptable proof of payment.)
  • A USDOT number for applicants classified as a motor carrier. A “registrant only” applicant does not need a USDOT number but will need to submit the USDOT number and Taxpayer Identification Number of the motor carrier responsible for the safety (MCRS) of the vehicle, along with a lease agreement between the applicant and MCRS.
  • In addition to the required forms, provide three items to verify the physical address of the established place of business. Documents cannot be more than 12 months old. See list of acceptable proofs on the new carrier checklist.
  • Invoice for IRP fees must be paid with guaranteed funds (cash, money order or certified check).

Frequently asked questions

Q: How do I change my business name and/or address?

A: Registrants may do a name, address, USDOT & TIN change ANYTIME during the year.

Customers are required to update their business name and/or address, US DOT number, or TIN change with FMCSA first using, the Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS).

Once your business name, address, USDOT number, or TIN change has been made with FMCSA, you can complete the IFTA application. If the registrant has an IFTA account, and it is not renewal time for IFTA, you will need to pay $10 before any processing can be done.

Business name changes
If the name change is a major name change (Smith Trucking to Jones Transportation, Inc.), they must provide 3 proofs of residency in the new name at the current physical address and submit a new record retention statement.

If the name change is minor (Smith Trucking to Smith Trucking LLC), they do not need to provide 3 proofs or residency.

Address, USDOT, or TIN changes

No documentation is needed if the change is only an address, USDOT, or TIN change, however; all changes must be completed with FMCSA first, as mentioned above.

Q: Where is my plate, cab card, decal?

A: Typically if you haven't received your credentials within 10 working days after payment is received, then we still need some documentation (i.e., 2290, title). You can either call IRP at 515-237-3268 to find out what is needed or when the credentials were issued, or you can use the "Web Inquiry" feature to view that vehicle and see what is needed to release the credential or see the date the credential was issued.

Q: I need a copy of my 2290. Can you supply that to me?

A: No, you will need to contact the IRS at 866-699-4096.

Q: How/Where do I get a US DOT number?

A: Contact FMCSA at

Q: Where do I get my MC number?

A: Contact FMCSA

Q: What do I do if I am suspended?

A: If your account is suspended, there could be various reasons depending on the specifics of your account. Please contact our office for assistance in reinstating your account at 515-237-3268 or

Q: What do I do if I did not renew my IRP on time?

A: If you did not renew your IRP on time, you could login to your account to renew your fleet or contact our office for assistance at 515-237-3268 or

motor carrier services appointments

If you have checked our online service options and have determined that you need to come see us in person, appointments are available at our Ankeny location only. You cannot schedule an appointment for new IFTA or IRP accounts. New account requests must be submitted via email or mail. 


You will need to make an appointment. Click the button below to make a motor carrier services appointment.


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.