International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among all U.S. states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) and Canadian provinces (excluding Northwestern Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon). It makes things easier for motor carriers that drive through different places by simplifying how they report and pay fuel taxes.

Under IFTA, qualified motor carriers are required to obtain an IFTA license, and in return, they benefit from streamlined reporting procedures. This includes the issuance of a single license, a set of decals for each vehicle, and the submission of one quarterly fuel tax report per licensee. This report shows how much tax they owe or if they get a refund, based on how much fuel they use in different jurisdictions.

Motor carriers operating "qualified motor vehicles" are subject to IFTA licensing, reporting, and record-keeping requirements unless the vehicle qualifies for an exemption or obtains a trip permit.

File IFTA Online

IFTA New Application Processing Dates

File my IFTA quarterly return

How to sign in


Not able to file online? Email or call 515-237-3268 for additional information on how to file.

New carriers applying for IFTA

As a new IFTA customer, you will need to complete the paperwork linked below, and email the completed paperwork to or mail it to P.O Box 10382, Des Moines IA 50306. New IFTA accounts cannot be processed in-person.

Frequently asked questions

Q: How do I change my business name and/or address?

A: Registrants may do a name, address, USDOT & TIN change ANYTIME during the year.

Customers are required to update their business name and/or address, US DOT number, or TIN change with FMCSA first using, the Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS).

Once your business name, address, USDOT number, or TIN change has been made with FMCSA, you can complete the IFTA application. If the registrant has an IFTA account, and it is not renewal time for IFTA, you will need to pay $10 before any processing can be done.

Business name changes
If the name change is a major name change (Smith Trucking to Jones Transportation, Inc.), they must provide 3 proofs of residency in the new name at the current physical address and submit a new record retention statement.

If the name change is minor (Smith Trucking to Smith Trucking LLC), they do not need to provide 3 proofs or residency.

Address, USDOT, or TIN changes

No documentation is needed if the change is only an address, USDOT, or TIN change, however; all changes must be completed with FMCSA first, as mentioned above.

Q: What do I do if I am suspended?

A: If your account is suspended, there could be various reasons depending on the specifics of your account. Please contact our office for assistance in reinstating your account at 515-237-3268 or

Q: What do I do if I did not renew my IFTA license?

A: You have two options available for renewing your IFTA license:

  1. Log in to your IFTA account, OR
  2. Contact our Motor Carrier Services team for assistance at 515-237-3268 or

motor carrier services appointments

If you have checked our online service options and have determined that you need to come see us in person, appointments are available at our Ankeny location only. You cannot schedule an appointment for new IFTA or IRP accounts. New account requests must be submitted via email or mail. 

You will need to make an appointment. Click the button below to make a motor carrier services appointment.


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.