Iowa 511 app for Android and iPhone
The Iowa DOT has a 511 smartphone application to meet the growing trend of information on mobile devices - "Iowa 511." The application works on smartphones and tablets that operate on the iOS and Android platforms.
The Iowa 511 app provides statewide up-to-date traffic information for interstates, U.S. routes, and state highways in Iowa. It does not include information for county roads or city streets.
- Hands-free, eyes-free audio announcements of upcoming traffic events as you travel along your route
- A zoom-enabled map with tappable traffic event icons and surrounding camera views
- Near real-time updates on winter road conditions (including surrounding states), traffic incidents, construction, truck restrictions, and road closures
- Trucker Mode with resources specific to commercial vehicle operators
- Create and manage Your 511 personalized account including saved routes, areas, favorite camera views, and alerts via email and/or text.
- Travel time delays associated with traffic reports (look for the orange glowing icons)
- Current traffic speeds
- Traffic camera images and streaming video throughout the state. Sign up for an account to save your favorite cameras for easy access later.
- Snow plow camera images and locations
- Towing prohibited (tow ban) events for winter storms
- Real-time weather radar
- Weather stations with alerting for inclement weather
- Rest area locations statewide including real-time truck parking availability at rest areas and select private truck stops along I-80, and portions of I-29, I-35, I-235, and I-380.
- Weigh Station Locations
- Citizen reports via Waze
- Electronic Message Signs
Remember, the primary responsibility of every driver is the safe operation of their vehicle. Iowa law prohibits individuals from using a handheld electronic communication device to write, send or read a text message while driving a motor vehicle.
The 511 website can be viewed from any mobile device by going to www.511ia.org.