2022 State FREIGHT Plan
In recent years, Iowa DOT has embarked on numerous freight planning activities to help achieve safe and efficient freight movement in the state and region. These are detailed in the 2017 Iowa State Freight Plan, a document developed to connect these initiatives and allow them to move forward towards a common goal of optimal freight transportation. Additionally, the plan also guides Iowa DOT's investment decisions to maintain and improve the freight transportation system, and ultimately strengthen the state’s economy and raise the quality of life for its citizens.
The 2017 Iowa State Freight Plan was amended from Iowa DOT's original, MAP-21 compliant State Freight Plan for FAST Act compliance and submitted to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) on June 2, 2017. FHWA reviewed and accepted the amended plan as including all required elements, effective July 21, 2017. View the 2017 plan.
Iowa DOT is in the process of updating and enhancing this document for FAST Act compliance. The final update is due to FHWA by July 21, 2022. More information on the update is below.
STAKEHOLDER AND PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT
Internal discussions on the plan began in mid-2020 and updating the State Freight Plan will involve stakeholder and public input through spring 2022. The anticipated timeline for the planning process is shown below. The Plan is being developed in tandem with the update of the 2022 Iowa Long-Range Transportation Plan, and some stakeholder and public input opportunities will be utilized for both plan updates.
Presentations and materials
Presentations and materials from stakeholder and public engagement activities will be added below as they are available.
- FAC – Freight Plan Update and Freight Networks – March 26, 2021
- MPO/RPA – Plan Updates and Freight Networks – March 24, 2021
- FAC – Freight Goals – December 18, 2020
- MPO/RPA – Plan Updates and Transportation Priorities – December 16, 2020
- ITC – Overview of Plan Update – November 10, 2020
- MPO/RPA - Trends, Issues, and Opportunities – September 30, 2020
- FAC – Freight Trends, Issues, and Opportunities – September 23, 2020
- FAC – Highway Freight Bottlenecks – June 19, 2020
- FAC – Iowa Freight Advisory Council
- ITC – Iowa Transportation Commission
- MPO/RPA – Metropolitan Planning Organizations and Regional Planning Affiliations
For additional information, contact:
Systems Planning Bureau
Iowa Department of Transportation
800 Lincoln Way
Ames, IA 50010