Commercial vehicles/CDL


You will need to come into a driver's license issuance location to renew your CDL and provide proof of citizenship (see list below). If you certify to the “nonexcepted interstate” category you must also provide a copy of your Medical Examiner’s Certificate when you renew.

You must bring one of the of the following documents to
prove citizenship or lawful presence in the U.S.

U.S. Citizens

  • Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

Permanent resident

  • Permanent resident card (lawful permanent residents)

Temporary foreign national

  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Unexpired foreign passport with an I-94 document

Get a REAL ID-compliant license (optional)

If you want to obtain a REAL ID (gold star), find out what additional documents you need to bring with you.

You can renew your CDL at any one of Iowa's 100 issuance sites. Schedule an appointment or contact your county treasurer