Back to mobile ID homepage
MOBILE ID APP USERS
EVERYTHING IS ON YOUR PHONE. NOW YOUR ID IS TOO.
Iowa Mobile ID is a FREE digital version of your official driver’s license or ID, carried in an app on your smartphone. The mobile ID app is optional to download and acts as a companion to your physical ID; it does not replace it. Not all businesses are able to verify mobile ID yet, so you should still keep your physical ID as a back-up.
Get updates about Mobile ID
Get updates on the latest mobile ID information.
Iowa Mobile ID is convenient, secure and private.
- Mobile ID is a trusted, government-issued digital identity.
- Mobile ID offers a contactless method for verifying identity.
- Mobile ID uses a QR code to initiate the sharing and verification of information.
- Users are required to upload their physical ID and a live selfie to verify against their DOT profile.
- Iowa Mobile ID is secure, using a pin or biometrics to open the app.
- Use your secure mobile ID QR code to provide the identity information you choose to share to an ID-verifier.
- Mobile ID keeps user data secure and ensures the privacy of personal information by only storing it within the state system of record and on the user’s device.
- Privacy views allow you to verify your age without having to expose sensitive data like your birthdate or address.
- You are in control as you decide what information you share.
Who can use Iowa Mobile ID?
Any Iowa resident with a valid, legible driver’s license or state-issued photo ID is eligible. Iowa Mobile ID can currently be used with
- Android phones (Android 7 or newer); or
- iPhones (iOS 13 or newer)
You cannot use a jailbroken/rooted smartphone or a device where the software has been manipulated to remove manufacturer restrictions and limitations.
How do I get Iowa Mobile ID?
Download the app and set permissions
Register your phone number.
Scan your ID.
Take a selfie.
Set up app security and go.
To enroll in Iowa Mobile ID, you will need your physical card. The temporary paper driver’s license or ID cannot be used for enrollment. Once enrolled, your mobile ID can be used at participating locations.
Need help with scanning your ID or taking the selfie? As Iowa Mobile ID does a very thorough security review during enrollment, the app may ask you to do your selfie or scan your ID more than once. See tips for assistance.
HOW DO I CHOOSE WHAT INFORMATION I SHARE?
Privacy Views allow you to share only information that is relevant to the transaction and that you want to share. For example, you can have your age verified without having to relay sensitive data like your birthdate or address.
- Go to the Privacy page
· Android - Click on the filter icon in the upper-right
· iOS - Click on Privacy in the upper-right
- Select the Privacy View you want to use.
- Tap on the Share privacy info button.
- Show the QR code to the business/merchant.
You are always in control of releasing your information and can choose to accept or decline a request. Users may choose a specific Privacy View for a transaction and typically that will align to what the business is requesting. However, if the business is requesting more information than you are comfortable sharing, you have the option to decline the request.
DO I HAVE TO APPROVE REQUESTS EVERY TIME?
While the mobile ID app defaults to asking your permission every time before sharing your ID information, the Attribute Consent setting allows you to auto-approve information requests that match up with your Privacy View settings.
Once you have toggled on this feature, requests for information that align with your selected Privacy Views will automatically pass through without you having to accept the request. In the event a business requests more information than you have selected for auto-approval, you will still receive a message to accept or decline the request.
- From the IDs tab, click on the 3 dots (…) in the top-right of the screen.
- Then click on Attribute Consent.
- Toggle on the Privacy View you would like to set to auto-approve.
Where can I use my mobile ID?
Look for the Iowa Mobile ID logo on a business’ window or door, or simply ask if they accept it.
Mobile ID was created as a platform that any business, government entity or law enforcement agency can adopt and use to verify a person’s identity -- the same way they use your card today. It is considered an acceptable form of identity verification by the State of Iowa and can be used in any context in which you would use your physical ID to verify your age or identity.