Back to mobile ID homepage
Iowa Mobile ID for businesses, organizations, & Agencies
VERIFY IDENTITY AND AGE IN A COMPLETELY DIGITAL WAY!
Verification of personal identification or age is a major part of doing business today. Iowa Mobile ID gives organizations another secure and convenient way to validate identity, with features benefiting both users and businesses.
BENEFITS OF IOWA MOBILE ID
The state certificate verifies that the ID was issued by the issuing authority, the Iowa DOT.
The verification process checks the information for you and lets you know if it’s been authenticated or not.
Scanning a QR code means never having to touch or access a user’s device.
You only need to ask for the data required for your business transaction. (For example: age and photo for an alcohol purchase.)
All security features are encrypted data with no need to decipher physical security features.
How do I verify mobile ID?
How do I start accepting mobile ID?
Step 1 – Review your business needs and available resources
How do you verify identity today?
- If you currently verify an ID by scanning the 2D barcode or visually inspecting the physical card, please note these methods will not work with mobile ID.
- Iowa Mobile ID uses a secure QR code to share an ID.
What systems or tools are available to you right now? Equipment to verify could include:
- Point of sale systems
- Handheld scanners
- Online store
What IT engagement may be needed to support mobile ID? You can:
- Push a mobile ID verification app to current equipment.
- Integrate a verify system into your established app, point of sale or online store.
- Build your own verification app, point of sale system or online store.
Step 2 – Choose the verification option that works for you
Choose whether partnering with a verification vendor or building a verification system will work best for your business needs. The Iowa DOT does not require or endorse a specific verification method or vendor. Businesses should review their business needs to research the verification option that would work best for them.
The verification systems you choose must be ISO 18013-5 compliant and have Iowa’s public key. ISO standards can be found by visiting the ISO website and searching for “18013-5.” To gain Iowa’s public key, you need to contact DOT.MobileID@iowadot.us.
A verify app allows you to use a smartphone or tablet to scan the mobile ID user’s QR code to verify their age/identity and be assured that they are presenting a state-signed mobile ID. The businesses below have notified the DOT that they have a mobile ID verify app.
Software Development Kit (SDK)
A mobile ID software development kit can be integrated into an existing point-of-sale system or other verification system.
If you’ve been used to verifying an ID by scanning the 2D barcode or visually inspecting the physical card, please note these methods will not work with mobile ID.
Your online systems can be be configured to accept Iowa’s Mobile ID to log into secure websites. Your system would generate a QR code requesting information from a Mobile ID user. Once scanned and accepted, the user’s information would transfer to your website.
TIP: With most verification tools, you should be able to customize the information you want to request from your customer for the transaction. It’s best to only ask for the information you need for your transaction.
Step 3 – Prepare your equipment, staff, and business for rollout
- Roll out equipment and/or software.
- Train your staff on how to verify an Iowa Mobile ID.
- Encourage friends and family to download Iowa's Mobile ID from the App Store or Google Play and use it at your business.
- Promote that you accept Iowa’s Mobile ID to your customers.
- Iowa provides window clings and point-of-sale stickers to help remind your customers to use their mobile ID at your business.
- If you wish, Iowa DOT will list your business name and locations on their website as an early adopter of mobile ID.