buying & selling a vehicle

Manufacturer, new vehicle distributor and new vehicle wholesaler license

In order to have retail dealers in Iowa, a manufacturer's or distributor's license is required.

Every dealer in Iowa must have a franchise or contract in writing from the manufacturer authorizing them to offer their product for sale.

If manufacturing towable recreational vehicles, Iowa law requires that the manufacturer's certificate of origin contain the exterior length and width of a trailer, not including any area occupied by any hitching device.

A manufacturer/distributor's certificate of origin must be issued on each vehicle.

application forms

When completed, forward these application forms to:

Vehicle Central Programs
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278