Commercial Driver's License

Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT)

Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) is a set of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) minimum training standards for commercial driver license (CDL) holders and applicants. ELDT is required for drivers applying the first time for a Class A or Class B CDL; upgrading an existing CDL (Class B CDL to Class A CDL); or adding the following endorsements: hazardous materials (H), passenger (P), or school bus (S).

State driver licensing agencies will be required to verify CDL applicants’ ELDT completion prior to allowing applicants to take a skills test for a Class A or Class B CDL, or a passenger (P) or school bus (S) endorsement, or a knowledge test prior to obtaining the hazardous materials (H) endorsement.

Effective February 7, 2022, training providers will be required to upload driver training certification to the Training Provider Registry, and the Iowa DOT will be required to confirm driver applicants have met the ELDT requirements prior to administering CDL tests.

ELDT is a FMCSA program and is not administered by the Iowa DOT. For more information please select the link below or call the FMCSA information line at 1-800-832-5660 or the FMCSA Iowa Field Office at 515-233-7400.

Get more information about ELDT and view the listing of approved training providers

FMCSA has released a video to help answers questions on which driver’s are required to take entry-level driver training. View the FMCSA video

Did you know you could receive financial assistance for CDL training?

financial aid icon

The Iowa DOT, Iowa Workforce Development, and Iowa Department of Education are working together to identify financial assistance programs that help cover the cost of entry-level driver training (ELDT) or full CDL training at Iowa community colleges.

FMCSA’s Entry Level Driver Training regulations set the baseline for training requirements for entry-level drivers. This applies to those seeking to:

  • Obtain a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time;
  • Upgrade an existing Class B CDL to a Class A CDL; or
  • Obtain a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement for the first time.

Here are a few of the programs offering financial assistance:

  • Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA): Title I Programs
    • Provides funding for training costs and supportive services (like transportation or childcare) for individuals that meet specific program eligibility requirements.
    • How to apply: Contact your local IowaWORKS Center

Check with your employer for other financial resources for training.


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.