If driving isn’t an option or you lost your driving privileges due to a medical or vision-related condition, we're here to help with the challenges of identity and mobility.

There are transportation options available, many at reduced costs, to help you get where you need to go. Below is information about driving eligibility as well as alternative transportation options.


When renewing a driver’s license, you may be required to provide a medical or vision report completed by your health-care provider.

If we have determined that you need this report, it will be listed on the back of your license as a restriction and the form will be mailed to you a month before you need to submit the completed form back to us. Your license may also list additional driving-related restrictions (i.e. no nighttime driving, no interstate driving, no manual transmission, etc.).

Medical and Vision Report Forms

Contact us

Have questions specific to your record and eligibility? We’re here to help. Contact us in a way convenient for you.

Phone: 515-244-8725
Fax: 515-239-1837

MEDICAL and vision-related conditions that may affect driving

The information required on a medical or vision report will vary based on the driver’s health. The more common types of health conditions that can affect driving are:

  • Seizure
  • Blackout/Fainting/Loss of consciousness
  • Diabetes
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Muscular Dystrophy
  • Sleep disorders
  • Heart problems
  • Stroke
  • Dementia
  • Cognitive Impairment
  • Mental Illness
  • Substance Abuse
  • Glaucoma
  • Cataracts
  • Macular Degeneration


The reason(s) for a medical sanction on your driving record is unique to the person and may include varying degrees of physical, mental, cognitive, or vision-related impairment.

How do I get my driving privileges back?

  1. Obtain a recommendation from your health care professional (i.e. MD, DO, ARNP, PAC, or vision specialist). Your doctor may request additional medical evaluations with a specialist or a medically-based driving evaluation conducted by an occupational therapist or certified driver rehabilitation specialist before making a recommendation to reinstate your driving privileges.
  2. Take a knowledge and on-road driving test. Once you have a recommendation from your doctor or specialist to reinstate your driving privileges, you’ll need to take a knowledge and  on-road driving test before your driving privileges can be reinstated.  

You are eligible to receive a free ID card if your Iowa driver license has been withdrawn due to a medical or vision-related sanction. Schedule an appointment to come in to one of our DMV service centers to receive your free non-driver ID card.


If you have a concern about a driver, you can submit a signed Request for Re-examination (Form 431030) for a driver with a known or suspected physical, mental, cognitive, or vision condition that can impair driving.

Find more information about reporting an unsafe driver.


You should first discuss your needs and concerns with your primary care provider as most medically based programs require a referral.

A medically based driver evaluation provides an objective assessment of a person’s ability to safely drive. Driver evaluations are usually provided by occupational therapists and/or driver rehabilitation specialists.

A clinical assessment typically includes evaluation of arm and leg strength and mobility, reaction time for braking, visual acuity and field of view, attention, concentration, perception, memory, and reasoning skills. An on-road assessment evaluates the ability to drive safely in traffic.

Driver rehabilitation specialists work with drivers when adaptive equipment is needed and provide training needed to become proficient in controlling the vehicle.

Your local hospital’s occupational therapy department may offer an evaluation of skills necessary for driving or help you locate a program in your area.

Find an organization

The organizations listed below can help you locate a program:

Frequently asked questions

Q: What steps should I take if my health care provider advises that I should no longer drive?

A: If your provider has determined you are no longer safe to drive, you should schedule an appointment to visit your local DMV service center, surrender your driver’s license, and request an ID card, free of charge. Our team is here to assist you with information for alternative transportation options.

Q:Can I report an unsafe driver by phone?

A: We cannot accept reports of unsafe drivers by phone. We must receive a signed, written request for re-examination (Form 431030) In the event of an emergency, immediate reporting may be completed by contacting your local law enforcement or dialing 911. Anonymous requests are not accepted.

Q: Can a healthcare professional request a driving assessment or evaluation for physical, cognitive, or vision-related reasons?

A: Yes. A healthcare professional can request a driving assessment or evaluation if they are concerned with someone’s ability to drive safely due to a physical, cognitive, or vision-related reason. Contact us by phone 515-244-8725 or email if you have questions.

Q: Can the Iowa DOT re-examine a driver who does not have a medical condition but whose driving skills are deteriorating?

A: Yes. Anytime a driver comes to renew or replace their license (i.e. misplaced or update to address), our staff can perform screenings or request further evaluation if they have reason to believe a driver may be unsafe for a physical, mental, cognitive, or vision-related reason. This may include vision screening, cognitive screening, a request for a medical or vision report to be completed by a healthcare provider, or a knowledge or driving test.


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.