Motor Carriers

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) and International Registration Plan (IRP) online processing

IFTA Renewal

2024 IFTA Renewals are now open.

You can renew your 2024 IFTA the easy way with ePay online! A small convenience fee of $1.50 per transaction.

Make online payments for IFTA and IRP using E-Pay

E-Pay gives you the ability to pay using your credit card, debit card, or checking account with a small convenience fee of $1.50. Visa, Mastercard, and Discover are all accepted.

E-Pay Online Payments

Make online payments for IFTA and IRP using E-Pay. With E-Pay you can use your credit card, debit card or checking account with a $1.50 convenience fee.

motor carrier services appointments

If you have checked our online service options and have determined that you need to come see us in person, appointments are available at our Ankeny location only.


You will need to make an appointment. Click the button below to make a motor carrier services appointment.

Attention icon Due to staffing limitations your transactions may take longer than normal.

Motor Carrier Responsible for Safety (MCRS)

All IRP commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) registered within a Performance and Registration Information Systems Management (PRISM) State must have a MCRS assigned to it. Learn more.


Have questions about Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)?
Contact the Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services for assistance at, or call us at 515-237-3268.


all new accounts will not be processed at the counter

All paperwork must be submitted by fax, email, mail, or dropped off. Once all necessary paperwork is filled out properly and documents received, the applications will be processed.

To view the IRP/IFTA application pop-up windows:

  • Choose “view” when prompted by a pop-up blocker, or
  • choose to “always allow pop-ups from this site.”

Adobe Acrobat™ Reader is required. Free download


Form 2290 filing requirements and information

Form 2290 filing requirements 60-day rule
IRS Trucking Tax Center

Frequently asked questions regarding online processing

Can I stop and restart my work later?

Yes, your supplement will be left in "open" status until you go back into "work in process" (WIP) to complete it. Make sure you use the QUIT option rather than CANCEL.

Why do I have to change my password?

For security purposes. Too many times we hear about people "losing their identity" through the Internet. We want to take every precaution we can to keep this from happening to you.

Can I use the same password I use for Iowa Tax?

If it meets the same criteria, yes.

How do you come up with the miles on the average per-vehicle distance chart and why do we have to use them?

The average-per vehicle distance is set by each jurisdiction by taking the reported actual distance divided by the apportioned vehicles in the same reporting period. Each jurisdictions average-per vehicle distance is posted on the IRP website at

When I press "View Invoice" nothing happens.

Your pop-up blocker is blocking the window from opening. You can easily notice this if you look at the space above the red banner as shown below. Follow the instructions to "Always allow pop-ups from this site." This is a one time change.
pop up sample

What do I really put in for account ID? It says, "Joe.smith" for example.

You should always use your Client ID number.

It won't let me in. What do I do?

Typically it's because your CAPS LOCK is on. Passwords are case sensitive and are required to be at least eight characters. They must have at least one uppercase and one lowercase letter and either a number or a symbol. An example of an acceptable password would be something like your last name and address numbers: Sample1234.

Can I pay online?

Yes, you can pay online using ePay or an escrow account. When you file an International Registration Plan (IRP) transaction and International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) transaction online, you can pay online through ePay using a credit card, debit card or checking account with a minimal transaction fee of $1.50 per transaction. To set up an escrow account contact 515-237-3268 an escrow account can be used to pay IRP and IFTA transactions.

Why did I not receive a confirmation that I have a completed return?

Once a return has been submitted, you will receive a message at the top of the screen confirming if your submission was successful or not. If it was successful, select "Quit."

successfully updated sample

The fee comp date that I put in is not being accepted. What do I do?

Usually, the wrong effective date has been entered. An effective date for an add vehicle, an add with transfer, or a new carrier is going to be either the date of purchase or the last date the vehicle was currently registered.

The effective date for anything else will be the current date that the supplement is being submitted.

I have applied for an Iowa title, but don't have the title yet. What do I put in Title indicator space?

You will need to type in NITI (No Iowa Title Issued). If "applied" is in this space, please change it to NITI.

I entered my supplement an hour ago and have not received an invoice or temporary registration. Do you know where it is?

First, make sure your supplement has been submitted through the “Web Processing” menu. When you are finished with the supplement, you must go to the “Web Processing” menu, enter your client ID and supplement number, and then click on “Submit.” If this procedure is not followed, your supplement cannot be processed.

International Registration Plan (IRP) frequently asked questions

For faster and easier processing, we encourage you to use our IRP online process. To get set up, contact us at 515-237-3268 or email

Where is my plate, cab card, decal?

Typically if you haven't received your credentials within 10 working days after payment is received, then we still need some documentation (i.e., 2290, title). You can either call IRP at 515-237-3268 to find out what is needed or when the credentials were issued, or you can use the "Web Inquiry" feature to view that vehicle and see what is needed to release the credential or see the date the credential was issued.

How do you come up with the miles on the average per-vehicle distance chart, and why do we have to use them?

The average per-vehicle distance chart is set by the IRP agreement and is followed by all jurisdictions.

How do I get a new plate, decal, or cab card if my other one has been lost or damaged?

Instructions are in the International Registration Plan Web Processing Manual. Duplicate cab card instructions begin on page 31, and duplicate plate instructions begin on page 33.

How do I complete the vehicle schedule if I'm doing a transfer?

You will need to complete sections A, B, and C on the upper portion, and fill in the weights for the states you will be traveling. Under "Additions", enter the information for the new unit to be added. Then under the "Deletion" section at the bottom left, enter the information for the unit you want to delete and transfer credit. If transferring credit, the deletion date (the date the vehicle was taken out of service) must be on or before the purchase date of the new one.

What information do I need to set up my own International Registration Plan registration?

As a new carrier, you will need to fill out the International Registration Plan Vehicle Schedule, Distance Schedule, New Account - Schedule G, IRP/IFTA Record Retention Statement, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (Form 2290), if needed, and a copy of the vehicle's title. In addition, you will need three current proofs of residence to verify the physical address at the "Established Place of Business." For a complete list of acceptable documents, you can call 515-237-3268, look online at, or email

I need a copy of my 2290. Can you supply that to me?

No, you will need to contact the IRS at 866-699-4096


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.