FREIGHT ADVISORY COUNCIL
The FAC is a group of Iowa-based public and private stakeholders serving as an advisory body to the Iowa DOT on freight mobility policies, programs, and investments. This group was created in 2012 as a forum to assist with understanding the complexities associated with freight movements through education, discussion, and review.
Members representing the agriculture, energy, distribution, logistics, and multimodal transportation industries, as well as local and state government agencies, meet on a quarterly basis to address critical topics cooperatively identified by the FAC Chair and Iowa DOT staff. This guidance allows the Iowa DOT to more effectively guide public investment in the freight transportation system with the ultimate goal of enhancing the competitiveness of Iowa’s business and industry.
To guide the Iowa DOT in fostering a safe, efficient, and convenient multimodal freight transportation system to enhance the competitiveness of Iowa’s business and industry.
Through education, discussion and review, the Freight Advisory Council will assist and advise the Iowa DOT on freight mobility policies, programs, and investments.
- Open discussion and respect for a variety of interests and opinion.s
- Commitment to regular participation and other assigned responsibilities.
- Collaborative decision-making that provides the best end result for Iowa’s freight transportation system and future economic vitality.
Responsibilities may include but are not
- Serve as an advisory body to Iowa DOT staff involved in freight mobility activities.
- Identify obstacles, challenges, and inefficiencies in the current freight transportation system.
- Proactively identify emerging trends that may impact freight mobility.
- Provide educational opportunities to stakeholders.
- Assist in the development of the Iowa DOT’s State Freight Plan, including providing stakeholder input, reviewing draft content, and offering suggestions for improvement.
- Review and comment on modal plans and the state long-range transportation plan as they relate to freight mobility.
- Review and comment on proposals for freight policies, programs, and investments.
- Consult with interested constituents as appropriate.
- Suggest potential planning initiatives or research topics.
- Advocate for freight mobility issues.
- Meet on a quarterly basis.
- Meetings will be held at a central Iowa location; one meeting per year may be held at another location of the state.
- A chair and vice chair will be elected to serve a two-year term and the vice chair will assume the chair position at the end of the chair’s term.
- Term limits will not apply to general membership; however, if a member or designee is absent for three consecutive meetings, barring extenuating circumstances, their membership will be terminated.
- Agendas will be cooperatively developed by the chair and Iowa DOT staff.
- Meeting arrangements will be the responsibility of the Iowa DOT.
- Iowa DOT will provide other staff support, as needed.
For more information on the Iowa Freight Advisory Council, please contact Sam Hiscocks, Freight Planning Coordinator, at 515-239-1004 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Freight Advisory Council meetings