Iowa Byways signage
Byway stakeholder involvement
- Local byway stakeholders assist in choosing the distinctive byway logo.
- Each roadway jurisdiction along the route signs an Iowa Byways Signage Agreement with the Iowa DOT regarding the placement, maintenance, and replacement of signs.
- After installation, the local byway coordinators and jurisdictions assist the Iowa Byways program in conducting inventories and repairing or replacing damaged or missing signs as needed.
Iowa Byways signage inventory and replacement
As of November 2015, sign inventories have been conducted along all 11 Iowa byways, using a tablet–based mobile application. New information will be posted here as the tools and processes are updated. Replacement signs are available from the Iowa DOT.
For assistance, contact the Iowa Byways Program Manager, Mary Stahlhut, by email or at 515-239-1369.
Iowa Byways signage policy
This policy manual is supported by Iowa Code 306D and 761 IAC 132. In turn, this Iowa Byways Signage Policy is consistent and integrated with the department’s Traffic and Safety Manual and the Design Manual. These manuals reflect the guidance provided by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Subsequent MUTCD updates will become part of the Iowa DOT Iowa Byways Signage Policy as published and adopted.
2016 installation project: Iowa Great River Road National Scenic Byway
- Nov.17, 2015: Installation contract letting
- Dec. 9, 2015: Fabrication contract letting
- Jan. 1, 2016: Jurisdiction agreements due
Jurisdiction Agreement form
- April 11, 2016: District 2 coordination meeting
- July 11, 2016: Construction Start Date – Beginning in Allamakee County
- July 25, 2016: Construction start date - beginning in Allamakee County
- October 24, 2016: Contractor working in the Dubuque area
- Dec. 3, 2016: Contractor has completion some installations through Keokuk to the Missouri line
- Winter Work: Contractor will continue winter work as possible, including new installations and corrections throughout the route.
Iowa Great River Road Signing Field Guide
Great River Road Signing Project Manager and Iowa Byways Program Manager: Mary Stahlhut
Project introduction letter
The Iowa Mississippi River Parkway Commission
Draft signing maps for Iowa Great River Road jurisdiction are available here for review: