Iowa Byways signage
Byway stakeholder involvement
- Local byway stakeholders assist in choosing the distinctive byway logo.
- Each roadway jurisdiction along the route signs an Iowa Byways Signage Agreement with the Iowa DOT regarding the placement, maintenance, and replacement of signs.
- County Routes and City Street installations are coordinated with local jurisdictions staff.
- After installation, the local byway coordinators and jurisdictions assist the Iowa Byways program in conducting inventories and repairing or replacing damaged or missing signs as needed.
Iowa Byways signage inventory and replacement
As of November 2015, sign inventories have been conducted along all 11 Iowa byways, using a tablet–based mobile application. New information will be posted here as the tools and processes are updated. Replacement signs are available from the Iowa DOT if in stock.
For assistance, contact the Iowa Byways Program Manager, Mary Stahlhut, by email or at 515-239-1369.
Iowa Byways signage policy
This policy manual is supported by Iowa Code 306D and 761 IAC 132. In turn, this Iowa Byways Signage Policy is consistent and integrated with the department’s Traffic and Safety Manual and the Design Manual. These manuals reflect the guidance provided by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Subsequent MUTCD updates will become part of the Iowa DOT Iowa Byways Signage Policy as published and adopted.
2018 NEW AND EXTENDED IOWA BYWAYS
SIGN INSTALLATION PROJECTs
- Covered Bridges Scenic Byway
- White Pole Road Scenic Byway
- Historic Hills Scenic Byway
- Driftless Area Scenic Byway
- February 2018: Sign Fabrication and delivery for Covered Bridges and White Pole Road
- February 2018: Sign fabrication beginning for Historic Hills Scenic Byway and Driftless Area Scenic Byway
- 2018: District DOT and Local Roads staff coordinate sign placement and installation
Iowa Byways Program Manager: Mary Stahlhut
DRAFT SIGNING MAPS ARE AVAILABLE HERE FOR REVIEW