Immigration Services (USCIS) documents for Iowa driver's licenses and IDs

Licenses and ID cards issued to temporary foreign nationals must be limited to the period of time the foreign national is authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to stay in the country, not to exceed two years. There must be at least 30 days of status time remaining.

Approved and acceptable United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents:

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550, N-570 or N-578)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560, N-561 or N-645)
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
  • Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766)
  • Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94) with attached photo and stamped “Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident”
  • Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94) stamped “Refugee,” “Parolee” or “Asylee”
  • Unexpired foreign passport accompanied by the approved I-94 documenting the applicant's most recent admittance into the United States
  • Valid foreign passport stamped “Processed for I-551”
  • Permit to Reenter the United States (I-327)
  • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.