The REAL ID (gold star) effective date is set for May 7, 2025. If you fly commercially or need access to federal facilities, you’ll either need a REAL ID license or ID or another acceptable identity document, or you’re going to be subject to additional screening and potential delays. Please note it can take up to 21 days to receive your REAL ID in the mail, so please plan ahead.
Don’t panic! We’re here to help you decide if a REAL ID license or ID is right for you.
WHAT IS THE REAL ID ACT?
REAL ID is a federal act focusing on anti-terrorism, fraud protection, and
security specific to the production of driver's licenses and ID cards that control access to
- Federal facilities requiring identification to enter.
- Federally regulated commercial aircraft.
- Nuclear power facilities.
Find out more about the REAL ID Act.
DO I NEED A REAL ID LICENSE OR ID?
REAL ID does not:
- Invalidate your state issued driver’s license or ID card.
- Affect using a driver’s license or ID card for usual purposes, such as
driving, renting a vehicle, writing a check, purchasing alcohol or
tobacco, or entering a casino.
You may not need a REAL ID compliant license or ID card if you
- Do not fly and do not plan to enter certain federal facilities, such as military bases and
nuclear power plants.
- Have an acceptable alternative to a state-issued REAL ID compliant driver’s license or ID
card, such as a valid U.S. passport.
HOW DO I GET A REAL ID-COMPLIANT CARD?
Great! You've decided a REAL ID driver's license or ID is the right choice for you. So what's
next? Follow these simple and helpful tips below.