Commercial Driver's License

Attention iconHello Iowa Farmers!

We’re conducting a short survey to find out what information you need from us related to road safety, permitting, CDLs, size and weight restrictions, and the movement of equipment on Iowa roads.

Rules and regulations

U.S. DOT number

Who needs a U.S. DOT number and how to get one

Motor carriers operating commercial vehicles across state lines will find helpful information and assistance at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Online Registration and Compliance Assistant website.

Motor carriers who are domiciled in Iowa and operate in for-hire intrastate commerce within Iowa also need to obtain a USDOT-IA number. Intrastate for-hire carriers need to contact the Iowa DOT's Motor Carrier Services at 515-237-3268 for an application and assistance in obtaining intrastate operating authority and a USDOT-IA number.

A motor carrier who already has a USDOT number for interstate commerce will not be issued a second USDOT number, but must still obtain intrastate operating authority for loads transported within Iowa


Login  |  ©  Iowa Department of Transportation.  All rights reserved.