Lost or stolen Iowa driver's licenses
while in iowa
If your Iowa driver's license has been lost or stolen, you may apply for a duplicate at any Iowa driver's license issuance site by scheduling an appointment. The fee will be $10. Please bring one of the following for proof of identification:
- Official birth certificate (not the one with baby footprints)
- Valid U.S. passport
- Most recent U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services immigration or refugee document
If your lost or stolen card did not have the REAL ID gold star and would like your replacement to include it, find out what documents you need.
While out of state
If your Iowa driver's license has been lost or stolen and you are unable to apply for a duplicate because you are out of state, you may apply for a temporary driving permit (TDP).
Please note that a temporary driving permit is not valid for identification purposes.
You must make an application in writing and include the following:
- Your full name.
- Your signature.
- Your driver's license or Social Security number.
- Your date of birth.
- An out-of-state address and/or out-of-state fax number.
- Let us know if you want the TDP mailed to your out-of-state address or faxed to an out-of-state fax number.
- Telephone number
- Email address
Mail or fax your application to:
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204
Scanned copies can be emailed to: myMVD@iowadot.us.