Driver's license/ID

Attention icon Iowa driver's license/ID replacement fees waived for those in counties affected by the flooding

The $10 fee will be waived to replace a driver’s license or identification (ID) card that was lost or destroyed in one of the counties declared a disaster due to flooding. Find out more information.

Lost or stolen Iowa driver's licenses

Iowa driver's license

While in Iowa

If your Iowa driver's license has been lost or stolen, you may apply for a duplicate at any Iowa driver's license issuance site. The fee will be $10. You may need to provide proof of identity when applying for a duplicate license.

While out of state

If your Iowa driver's license has been lost or stolen and you are unable to apply for a duplicate because you are out of state, you may apply for a temporary driving permit (TDP).

Please note that a temporary driving permit is not valid for identification purposes.

You must make an application in writing and include the following:

  • Your full name.
  • Your signature.
  • Your driver's license or Social Security number.
  • Your date of birth.
  • An out-of-state address and/or out-of-state fax number.
  • Let us know if you want the TDP mailed to your out-of-state address or faxed to an out-of-state fax number.
  • Telephone number
  • Email address

Mail or fax your application to:

Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa  50306-9204
Telephone: 515-244-8725
Fax: 515-239-1837

Scanned copied can be emailed to: