Verify ELIGIBILITY – TEACHING PARENT SELF CHECK
This first step is highly recommended because not every family member is going to meet the requirements to qualify for the parent-taught program. Before proceeding further please double check the requirements and eligibility for both students and teaching parents.
- Possess a valid instruction permit.
- Age 14-21.
- In legal custody and control of teaching parent.
- Currently attending public school, accredited nonpublic school or receiving homeschool education under chapter 299A.
- Must be parent, guardian or legal custodian of student.
- Possess a valid Iowa driver's license, other than a motorized bicycle license or a temporary restricted license.
- Must have a clear driving record for the previous two years which means the individual has not been identified as a candidate for suspension or revocation of a driver’s license under the habitual violator or habitual offender provisions of the department’s regulations; is not subject to a driver’s license suspension, revocation, denial, cancellation, disqualification, or bar; and has no record of a conviction for a moving traffic violation determined to be the cause of a motor vehicle accident.
Check your driving record
View your driving record to ensure you meet the requirements by clicking the button below.
If you have any questions about eligibility you can inquire at ParentTaught.DE@iowadot.us
COMPLETE COURSE REQUIREMENTS
The teaching parent purchases the course materials, which may be purchased directly from the course provider and begins instruction. See the list of approved courses below. The student then successfully completes a pre-approved course and required behind-the-wheel instruction. Coursework and driving may begin at the same time.
The following course providers have been pre-approved by the Iowa DOT. After deciding on which one you would like to use, you will be required to purchase the course material directly from the course provider.
Submit the application and documents
After the course and behind-the-wheel instruction are complete, the parent submits the online Application for Parent-Taught Driver Education Certificate of Completion to the Iowa DOT by clicking on the "Submit application and documents" button below. The following items must be uploaded with every submitted completion:
- Approved course completion certificate or grade report.
View a sample course completion
(The sample includes completion certificates/report samples for all course providers. You may need to scroll to find the sample of the course provider you chose.)
- Copy of a completed driving log documenting 30 hours of street or highway driving instruction including 3 hours night driving documented between sunset and sunrise including the dates and times when the lessons were conducted.
View a sample driving log
- Driving logs must contain specific driving skills covered during each driving session.
- Driving logs must contain notations of deficiencies and improvements during driving instruction.
Submit the application and documents
Once the application and documents have been collected, submit them by clicking the button below.
If you have any questions about application process, please contact us ParentTaught.DE@iowadot.us
The Parent Supervised Driving Program booklet is only a guide for parents and the listed 20 hours of driving time does not meet the driving requirements for the approval of the Parent Taught Driver Education Program. The driving log in the Parent Supervised Driving Program booklet also does not meet the requirement, please use the driving log.
Parent-Taught Letter of Completion
Receive the Parent-Taught Letter of Completion via email. View a sample of the letter of completion.
Schedule a driving test
***All students completing parent taught driver education are required to
schedule and pass a driver skills test with a Certified DOT Consultant***
After receiving the approval letter for the completion of the parent-taught driver's education program, the student MUST pass a driving test with a certified DOT consultant before obtaining driving privileges. The student and parent may schedule their driving test at any Iowa driver’s license service center. The student and parent should bring the following items with them to the service center issuance site:
- Proof of insurance (required for the driving test).
- Student’s valid instruction permit.
- If the parent does not accompany the minor to the driver’s license site, the student must bring a parental consent form.
- Optional: Minor School License completed affidavit if obtaining a Minor School License.
- $8 for required license fees.
Get answers to your frequently asked questions.
For questions about parent-taught driver education, please contact email@example.com
or call general information at 515-244-8725.