Abandoned vehicle means:
- A vehicle left unattended on public property for more than 24 hours and lacks:
- current registration plates or
- two or more wheels or other parts which renders the vehicle totally inoperable.
- A vehicle that has remained illegally on public property for more than 24 hours.
- A vehicle that has been unlawfully parked on private property, or has been placed on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property for more than 24 hours.
- A vehicle that has been legally impounded by order of a police authority and has not been reclaimed for a period of 10 days. (However, a police authority may declare the vehicle abandoned within the 10-day period by commencing the notification process).
- Any vehicle parked on the highway determined by a police authority to create a hazard to other vehicle traffic.
- A vehicle that has been impounded pursuant to section 321J.4B (OWI sections) by order of the court and whose owner has not paid the impoundment fees after notification by the person or agency responsible for carrying out the impoundment order.
Demolisher: A person licensed under chapter 321H whose business it is to convert a vehicle to junk, processed scrap, or scrap metal or otherwise to wreck or dismantle vehicles.
Police authority: The Iowa State Patrol or any law enforcement agency of a county, city or special security officer employed by the state board of regents under Iowa Code Section 262.13.
(State agencies not included in this definition are: Iowa Division of Narcotics Enforcement, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, Iowa Department of Transportation, Iowa Department of Natural Resources and the Iowa State Fire Marshal.)