The Traffic Safety Improvement Program (TSIP) is defined by section 761, Chapter 164, of the Iowa Administrative Code. TSIP provides safety funds to cities, counties and the Iowa DOT in three separate categories.
Intent of program
To distribute funds for roadway safety improvements, traffic control devices, research, studies or public information initiatives.
Who is eligible to request funding?
Cities, counties or the Iowa DOT may request funding for use on any public roads.
FY 2020 Applications for Consideration
Recommended Projects/Funding Amounts
Qualifications for funding
Applications may be submitted for one of three categories.
- Site-specific - construction or improvement of traffic safety and operations at a specific site or corridor with a crash history
- Traffic control devices - purchase of materials for installation of new traffic control devices, such as signs, signals or pavement markings; or replacement of obsolete signs or signals
- Research, studies and public information - transportation safety research, studies or public information initiatives, such as signing or pavement marking research, driver education/information, work zone safety, and crash data analysis improvements
Type of submittal required
Application form and
instructions are available at the bottom of this page and shall be
TSIP awards cannot exceed $500,000 per project.
Type of approval required
Applications are reviewed by an internal/external committee of representatives from cities, counties and the Iowa DOT. Recommendations are then made to the Iowa Transportation Commission, which then approves funding of specific projects.
- Site-specific projects are evaluated by benefit/cost ratio analysis and other criteria.
- Funding for traffic control devices is awarded considering the safety benefits of eligible applications, annual funding level and other criteria.
- Funding for research, studies and public information initiatives is awarded considering their relationship to safety, annual funding level and other criteria.
Program’s annual funding level
One half of one percent (0.5 percent) of Iowa’s Road Use Tax Fund.
- $500,000 per year for traffic control device projects
- $500,000 per year for research, studies and public information initiatives
- Remainder available for site-specific projects (Amount varies by year - historically the amount ranges between $5 and $6 million per year.)
Applications are not accepted after August 15, 2018.
Notice of approval will be sent by mid-January 2019, and funds will be available on July 1, 2019.
Where to send applications
Applications shall be submitted electronically (as a clear and legible .pdf) to
For questions please email: DOT-TSIP@iowadot.us
Forms and Links
- TSIP Electronic Application Forms (Rev. May 2018) - Fillable application forms for the cover page and Application Certification:
- Benefit/Cost Worksheet (Rev. May 2018) - Includes B/C worksheets for both roadway segments and intersections/spot locations.
Updated: Crash reduction factors should be obtained from the Crash Modification Factors Clearinghouse website, www.cmfclearinghouse.org/
For information about other funding sources, see the Iowa DOT Funding Guide