Back to Grants and Programs homepage
Pedestrian Curb Ramp Construction
Intent of program
Assist cities in complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on primary roads in Iowa cities
Who is eligible to request funding?
Any Iowa city
Qualifications for funding
- The city must engineer and administer the project.
- Improvements must involve a municipal extension of a primary road.
- Curb ramps must meet ADA standards.
Type of submittal required
Letters of request which include the following:
- city’s name;
- location description of primary road(s) and the boundaries of the project;
- number of curb ramps to be constructed;
- estimated total construction costs of the curb ramps;
- completion work schedule, with dates (the project must be let within two years of the agreement approval; and
- name and title of the city’s contact person.
Application amount minimum/maximum
Maximum of $250,000 per city, per year
- DOT may pay up to 100% of eligible costs
Letters of request accepted all year
Special project requirements
DOT review of all plans and specifications
Type of approval required
DOT staff approval and selection
Average length of time for acceptance decision
The appropriate DOT district engineer