Back to Grants and Programs homepage
Urban-State Traffic Engineering Program (U-STEP)
Intent of Program
Solve traffic operation and safety problems on primary roads in Iowa cities
Who is eligible to request funding?
Any Iowa city
Qualifications for funding
- The city must engineer and administer the project.
- Improvements must involve a municipal extension of a primary road. The two types of projects eligible are spot improvements and linear improvements (spot improvements are those limited to single locations; linear improvements are those which span two or more intersections).
- City match is 45 percent of the construction cost (55 percent state-funded).
- An engineering analysis of the problem area is required.
- Iowa Traffic Engineering Assistance Program can be used for analysis.
Type of submittal required
Letters of request with a sketch and cost estimate submitted by interested parties
Application amount minimum/maximum
- Maximum of $200,000 per project for spot improvements
- Maximum of $400,000 per project for linear improvements
Letters of request accepted all year
Special project requirements
DOT review of plans and specifications
Type of approval required
DOT staff approval and selection
Average length of time for acceptance decision
Send application/request to:
The appropriate DOT district engineer